Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chapter Three

A/N: What is this? An early update? Yep, I am feeling bad about the brevity of the chapter and that Edward has yet to go in search of Isabella. Will they meet in this chapter? Nope. But next chapter is the one you have been waiting for.
Answers to a few questions/comments:
Yes, the Cullens live in Seattle. Their cabin is in Baker Lake which is about 2 and ½ hours north of Seattle. Isabella's cottage is located about 8 miles from the cabin, deep in North Cascades National Park. Yes, I think it is a bit far fetched to think that Alice and Edward could have wandered 8 miles away from the cabin when they were kids, but I am taking some liberties. It is fiction after all.
I HATE the FF formatting, so I apologize if the spacing is messed up. I proof read in Word and then upload to the site, so I don't really check to see if everything is ok before I post. Forgive me?
You might get another chapter before the weekend is over if I can bust out chapter 8 today and start on 9. I am only getting about an hour a day to write since I am chasing around a 3 year old, 18 month old twins and caring for my 6 week old. Plus the laundry, dishes, vacuuming and other chores. Busy much…yeah I think so.


Isabella sat straight up from the comfort of her bed, her heart beating a painful rhythm in her chest. Her entire body was damp under the covers and she pushed them off of her to try and get cooler. The darkness was absolute and she knew it was nowhere near dawn, but her mind was too overwhelmed to go back to sleep. She pushed her back up against the wall and pulled her pillow into her lap as she searched her memory for the cause of her late night wake up call. She found she was able to recall the dream that had pulled her from sleep perfectly.


She was wrist deep in the fertile soil of the garden, hoping to gather at least one more sweet potato before heading in to do her other chores. She was humming an unknown tune or else she would have been able to hear the birds quiet down as an intruder came through the woods. It was not until the stranger's shadow cast over where she was working did she realize she was not alone. She jumped back, scooting across the dirt on her backside as she tried to get away. The sun was behind the figure, but she could see that whoever it was was very tall. She scrambled to her feet and started running for the maple tree, hoping she would be safe up in the high branches. 

"Please wait." 

Her feet did not listen to the frantic message from her brain to keep going and she froze. She knew that voice. She had heard it years ago. She turned towards the voice and waited, her dirty hands clenched tightly in front of her. He held his hands up before him as he slowly walked towards her. As he got closer, she was able to see his bright hair and vibrant green eye, and another wave of recognition swept over her. He stopped a foot in front of her and she had to tip her head back in order to see his face. He smiled sweetly down at her as he reached for her filthy hands. She gasped at his touch, having not felt another's flesh since her mother died. 

"I've been waiting for you." She whispered as tears filled her eyes.

"I'm here now." He answered as he tugged her body towards him and they collided against each other. His angelic face descended towards hers and his soft lips pressed against her own. Her breathing stilled as she was overwhelmed by how perfectly she fit in his arms. His fingers released hers and moved to cradle her head in his overly-large hands as he moved to deepen the kiss. His tongue traced the seam of her lips and at her gasp, rushed into her mouth to capture her sweetness. He finally pulled his lips from hers so they could catch their breath and she felt as if her heart would beat out of her chest. He smiled down at her flushed face, his fingers brushing curls away from her cheek.
"I'll never leave you again." He whispered.

Sitting up in her bed, her heart was still beating erratically and there was an unfamiliar warmth deep in her belly. She held the pillow tightly to her chest and was surprised to feel moisture on her cheeks. Reaching up to her face with her fingertips, they came away damp with tears and she realized she was crying for the first time in almost a decade.

**()*()**

"Edward, I truly think you should spend some more time reflecting before you make such a rash decision. No program will accept you back after such a long time away." Carlisle Cullen said as he watched his usually level headed son rummage through the long unused camping equipment that was stashed away in their massive garage. His son had made a startling announcement at the family dinner table the night before, and while his mother, Esme, had accepted his decision whole-heartedly, Carlisle was having a much harder time believing what he was hearing.

"Dad, there is nothing you can say that will change my mind. I wish I could tell you when I would be coming back, but to be honest I have no idea." Edward replied with his head buried deep in a cabinet. He had already found two sleeping bags, a heavy duty tent and a pack to hold it all. He wanted to find the cooking kit before he went out to buy the rest of the things he needed.

"Can you at least tell me where you are going? It seems like a stupid idea to pass up three matches with top medical programs just so you can go camping." Carlisle huffed as he ran his hand through his hair. Edward pulled his head from his search, his own hand buried deep in his hair.

"I can't tell you Dad. I just need you to trust me. I know this sounds like an impulsive thing to do, but I don't think I move forward with my life without doing this first." Edward sighed as he slumped down on the sleeping bags. "I am taking a satellite phone and a GPS locator with me, so if there is a problem I will be able to reach you and vice versa. I am hoping I will only be gone about a month, but I can't tell you exactly when I'll be back. I already called each of the hospitals to let them know I would not be accepting their invitation. I have taken care of everything."

Carlisle looked at the defeated slump of his son's shoulders and remembered the excitement and light he had seen in Edward's eyes as he announced he was going to be spending the next month traipsing through the woods instead of starting his residency. He sighed as he walked over to pat his son on the back.
"I trust you Edward. Do what you need to do and then come back and start your life."

**()*()**

"That'll be $250.79." The flirty sporting goods cashier said as she fluttered her eyes at Edward for the fifth time. He was used to being looked at like a piece of meat, but now, so close to seeing if his dreams were true, it was getting on his nerves. He had gained access to his trust fund when he graduated from college, but he never really used it much. His parents had paid for his education and living expenses while he was in school and he had no real hobbies or desires to waste money on. Now he was ecstatic he had all of this disposable income at his fingertips. His entire family was blessed with the finances that insured that no one would ever have to work.

He handed the girl his credit card and signed the slip as he grabbed the bag filled with his rented satellite phone and GPS beacon. He had rented them for three months, figuring it was safer to have more time than he needed. His new jeep was all packed and this was his last stop before he headed out to the cabin. He threw the bag in the back of the truck and pulled out of the parking lot, leaving the flirty sales girl behind. His palms were damp as he merged onto the I-5 and headed north towards Baker Lake, anxious to leave the activity of Seattle. His chest felt lighter with every mile he traveled and he could only hope he would find what he was looking for.


A/N: Come one Edward…you can find her. Leave me some love and it might encourage me to write faster and get you the next chapter!

Rec:
Are you reading anything by CaraNo? I swear her shit gets better with each new story. Every single thing she is writing is amazing. Not kidding…check her out!

No comments:

Post a Comment